Monday 9 January 2017

My Christmas Book Haul

Hey, everyone!

For all my fellow book worms, today I thought I would share the newest members of the family that I picked up over the Christmas period! I was given 4 books as gifts and I bought myself one to read for Christmas, but unfortunately it only came in the other day so I may just save it until next year!

Maybe it's just my fear of people talking or the fact that I resemble a little granny, but I find it really relaxing to just curl up with a book and tea and just block out the world. Christmas is an especially good time to get some reading done, what with all the spare time and food comas the make moving an utter chore!


Anyways, enough of my rambling! Here are the books I've gotten in the last month!

1. Isle of the Lost.

If it's Disney, or Disney related, I am in. Isle of the Lost is a the first book of Melissa De La Cruz's Descendents novels. It's also my first time reading one of Melissa's novels so I'm very excited, and so far so good! The story tells the tale of the banished, and now powerless, villains from all of our favourite Disney tales.


"Twenty years ago, all the evil villains were banished from the kingdom of Auradon and made to live in virtual imprisonment on the Isle of the Lost. The island is surrounded by a magical force field that keeps the villains and their descendants safely locked up and away from the mainland. Life on the island is dark and dreary. It is a dirty, decrepit place that's been left to rot and forgotten by the world.

But hidden in the mysterious Forbidden Fortress is a dragon's eye: the key to true darkness and the villains' only hope of escape. Only the cleverest, evilest, nastiest little villain can find it...who will it be?"



2. The Lunar Chronicles

This series consists of four books (Cinder, Scarlet, Cress and Winter), however I have yet to buy 'Winter'. This series spins a new twist on four old fairy tales: Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel and Snow White. The retellings are set in a futuristic world where people, androids and cyborgs all coexist.


"Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravaged the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl.
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future." ~ Cinder.

"Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive. 
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner." ~ Scarlet.

"In this third book in Marissa Meyer's bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they're plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and prevent her army from invading Earth.
Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl trapped on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she's being forced to work for Queen Levana, and she's just received orders to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice." ~ Cress.



3. I heart Christmas

I love Lindsey Kelk. I LOVE her. She once liked and replied to one of my comments and I genuinely cried, I cried real tears over this woman. I've read some of her other books and I always love them. She has a writing style that's so light and easy to read, and she's always so witty and down to earth with her characters which makes her books so relatable.



I was trying to figure out what book I wanted to read for Christmas, in the hopes I would finally feel festive, and I knew exactly what I should read. Unfortunately, I order the book too late and didn't get it until the other day. At least I have it waiting and ready for next year!

"Angela’s planning her very own fairytale of New York…
• Enormous Christmas tree
• Eggnog
• Eccentric British traditions
• Gorgeous man
But Santa’s throwing her a few curveballs – new job (as if it’s not mental enough already), new baby-craze from her best friend Jenny, and Alex determined they should grow up and settle down. Once friends start turning up uninvited on her doorstep (and leading her astray), can Angela really have a merry little Christmas? So much for happy holidays – something’s got to give…"



C'est tout! If anyone has any recommendations for me, I would be more than happy to take them!

-Rachel x

No comments:

Post a Comment